DIRECTIONS: After carefully reading and annotating the essay, choose three of the following questions and answer fully.
- This essay is the introduction to Malcolm Gladwell’s best-selling book Outliers. In what way does the town of Roseto qualify as an “outlier”?
- Summarize the first two paragraphs of the essay. Why do you think Gladwell chose to begin the essay this way?
- In the essay, who or what do you think was most responsible for the (new) Roseto’s flourishing? Cite reasons for your response (include page numbers).
- Describe what Dr. Stewart Wolf found when he studied the population of Roseto. Cite statistics in your answer.
- What are the three possible explanations Dr. Wolf gives for the astonishing results of his study? How is each one refuted (disproved)?
- What does Dr. Wolf finally conclude is the reason for the remarkable health of Rosetans? Quote from the essay in your answer.
- Choose any five vocabulary words whose meaning you are unsure of. List them, giving page nos. and partial sentence. Then define each one.